Thanks for choosing BePierced for your new piercing.
Now you’re home, it is very important to keep your new piercing clean as it is healing. You now have an open wound that is going to exposed to the elements daily, there are all kinds of bacteria (good and bad) that your piercing will be introduced during the healing process that need to be treated accordingly.
This page will help you with the aftercare that you should follow to best ensure a happy healed piercing.
Cleaning Your Piercing
It is very important to keep your new piercing clean as it is healing. You now have an open wound that is going to exposed to the elements daily, there are all kinds of bacteria (good and bad) that your piercing will be introduced during the healing process that need to be treated accordingly.
This is the aftercare that you should follow to best ensure a happy healed piercing.
Spray sterile saline aftercare solution (sold in our store and in the aftercare section on our website bepierced.com) into the lid of the bottle and dip a cotton bud in, use that side to clean one side of the piercing, flip and repeat. This is to be repeated 2-3 times a day with a fresh cotton bud on each side for at least 6-8 weeks minimum or until piercing is healed
Your new piercing is going to swell, may bruise, discharge goo, weep blood and be tender to touch. This is all normal healing and not to be mistaken for infection. The piercing can over swell so if you find that the bar is tight and uncomfortable while healing, please return to us for a longer bar. This is very common but needs to be rectified quickly.
If you have any concern, please return to the studio for professional advice
Every Couple of days you will need to check your jewellery to make sure the balls are tight (if your piercing has a ball or gem top.) but do not twist the bar.
- Do not spray solution directly onto the piercing as it may dry out the skin and make healing more difficult
- Do not use any other products to clean your piercing (ie. tcp, aloe vera, tea tree oil, alcohol etc)
- Do not pick at any scabs or crust building up on your piercing, soak gently with a cotton bud.
- Avoid any clothing or accessories that may irritate the piercing (eg high waisted pants, earphones etc.)
- Do not sleep on your piercings. Use a travel pillow if necessary.
- Avoid sand, seawater and swimming pools while piercing is healing.
The bar used in the initial piercing process is just for healing purposes. Once the piercing has fully healed and the swelling has gone down the bar will need to be changed to avoid being constantly hit off (usually 6-8 weeks). Please call back to the studio at that time for a suitably sized bar.
In some cases bars can be changed down at 4 weeks if there is a lot of length on the bar.
Emergency Saline Solution
If you have any concerns, please return to the studio for professional advice
If you do not have sterile saline solution to hand or if soaking your piercing is required this is the correct way to make the solution at home, this is not a long term recommended replacement for sterile saline solution!
You will need:
- 1/4 teaspoon of NATURAL Sea Salt
DO NOT USE table, mineral or himalayan salts
- 1/2 pint of boiled, filtered water
- Mix the two together in a clean and sterile container and leave to cool.
- Once cool, use as above for sterile spray.
- Find a sterile solution ASAP
Piercing Specific Care
The above should be used as a guideline only, your piercer will give you advice which is specific for the piercing(s) you have, and you should follow these – to see some more specific guidlines, check out our Aftercare Page.
- Clean gently around the top with the saline solution 2-3 times a day for approx. 6-8 weeks
- Keep covered with plasters as shown by your piercer for 24 hours a day for the first 3-4 days and at night-time for the first 7 days.
- 2-3 times a week preform a saltwater soak (see bellybutton/nipple)
- Avoid make up, face masks, moisturisers etc anywhere near the piercing.
- Wear a breathable plaster over it at night-time for the first week
- Clean 2-3 times a day with saline spray.
- 2-3 times a week mix up saltwater solution to measurements specified above, allow to reach body temperature, pour into a small glass and hold up to the piercing for a few minutes
- Clean with a Non-Alcoholic mouthwash 2-3 times a day and after eating and drinking
- Avoid drinking alcohol ENTIRELY. smoking, and vaping is to be minimised for the entire healing period
- Return to Your Piercer after 6-8 weeks to change your bar as leaving the initial swell bars in after this time can cause damage to teeth and gums